1. World Health Organisation. Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs). WHO
factsheets. Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/cardiovascular-diseases-(cvds)
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About heart disease.
Published September 27, 2021. Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/about.htm
3. Frostegård J. Immunity, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular
disease. BMC Med. 2013;11(1):117. doi:10.1186/1741-7015-11-117
4. National Institute of Health (NIH). Atherosclerosis. Accessed
December 13, 2021. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/atherosclerosis
5. Barquera S, Pedroza-Tobías A, Medina C, et al. Global overview of
the epidemiology of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Arch Med
Res. 2015;46(5):328-338. doi:10.1016/j.arcmed.2015.06.006
6. Powell-Wiley TM, Poirier P, Burke LE, et al. Obesity and
cardiovascular disease: a scientific statement from the American Heart
Association. Circulation. 2021;143(21):e984-e1010. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000973
7. Leal J, Luengo-Fernández R, Gray A, Petersen S, Rayner M.
Economic burden of cardiovascular diseases in the enlarged European
Union. Eur Heart J. 2006;27(13):1610-1619. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehi733
8. Hansson GK. Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery
disease. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(16):1685-1695. doi:10.1056/NEJMra043430
9. American Heart Association. Coronary artery disease - coronary
heart disease. Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/consumer-healthcare/what-is-cardiovascular-disease/coronary-artery-disease
10. Hajar R. Risk factors for coronary artery disease: historical
perspectives. Heart Views Off J Gulf Heart Assoc. 2017;18(3):109-114.doi:10.4103/HEARTVIEWS.HEARTVIEWS_106_17
11. American Heart Association. What is a heart attack? Accessed
December 13, 2021. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/about-heart-attacks
12. American Heart Association. Warning signs of a heart attack.
Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/warning-signs-of-a-heart-attack
13. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About stroke.
Published August 2, 2021. Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/stroke/about.htm
14. Cerebrovascular disease: causes, symptoms, and treatment.
Published August 2, 2019. Accessed February 2, 2022. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/184601
15. American Stroke Association. About Stroke. Accessed December 13,
16. American Heart Association. What is heart failure? Accessed
December 13, 2021. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-failure/what-is-heart-failure
17. Velagaleti R, Vasan RS. Heart failure in the 21st century: Is it
a coronary artery disease problem or hypertension problem? Cardiol
18. American Stroke Association. Stroke symptoms. Accessed March 14,
19. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Peripheral arterial
disease (PAD). Published September 27, 2021. Accessed February 2,
20. Creager MA, Loscalzo J. Arterial diseases of the extremities.
In: Jameson JL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Loscalzo J,
eds. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 20e. McGraw-Hill
Education; 2018. Accessed February 2, 2022. accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?aid=1155975428
21. Violi F, Basili S, Berger JS, Hiatt WR. Antiplatelet therapy in
peripheral artery disease. In: Gresele P, Born GVR, Patrono C, Page
CP, eds. Antiplatelet Agents. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology.
Springer; 2012:547-563. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-29423-5_22
22. Cohoon KP, Wennberg PW, Rooke TW. Diagnosis and management of
diseases of the peripheral arteries. In: Fuster V, Harrington RA,
Narula J, Eapen ZJ, eds. Hurst’s The Heart, 14e. McGraw-Hill
Education; 2017. Accessed February 2, 2022. accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?aid=1161720931
23. American Heart Association. 2021 Heart disease and stroke
statistics update fact sheet. Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.heart.org/-/media/phd-files-2/science-news/2/2021-heart-and-stroke-stat-update/2021_heart_disease_and_stroke_statistics_update_fact_sheet_at_a_glance.pdf
24. Mathers CD, Loncar D. Projections of global mortality and burden
of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med. 2006;3(11):e442. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0030442
25. American Heart Association. CDC Prevention Programs. Accessed
December 13, 2021. https://www.heart.org/en/get-involved/advocate/federal-priorities/cdc-prevention-programs
26. NHS. Cardiovascular disease. Published October 17, 2017.
Accessed December 13, 2021. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cardiovascular-disease/