Fiasp®, a new, ultra-fast acting mealtime insulin is available for the treatment of diabetes in adults
Canada first country to launch Fiasp®
Bagsværd, Denmark, 27 March 2017 - Today, Novo Nordisk announced that Fiasp®, a new, fast-acting mealtime insulin for the treatment of diabetes in adults, has been launched in Canada, following the recent marketing authorisation from Health Canada on 6 January 2017.
Fiasp® is insulin aspart in an innovative formulation that more closely matches the natural physiological insulin response of a person without diabetes after a meal, compared with NovoRapid® (conventional insulin aspart)1. Fiasp® also has the option of a flexible dosing regimen (up to 20 minutes after starting a meal), without compromising overall glycaemic control, when compared to NovoRapid® dosed at mealtime2,3.
"The launch of Fiasp® in Canada represents the first new mealtime insulin in 10 years. We hope to make this innovation available to as many people with diabetes as possible worldwide," said Mads Krogsgaard Thomsen, executive vice president and chief science officer of Novo Nordisk. "The goal of any insulin treatment is to match the natural physiological insulin production we see in people without diabetes, both in speed and glycaemic control. Fiasp® has narrowed the existing gap, getting us closer to that goal."
Fiasp® is absorbed faster than NovoRapid®, appearing twice as fast in the bloodstream after injection1,3, which leads to improved glycaemic control after a meal2,4. In clinical trials, Fiasp® demonstrated improved overall glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes2 and comparable overall glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes4, versus NovoRapid®. Results also showed improved mealtime glucose control in type 1 and type 2 diabetes2,4. This was achieved without a significant difference in the overall rate of severe or confirmed hypoglycaemia, compared with NovoRapid®2,4.
|Katrine Sperling||+45 3079 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Åsa Josefsson||+45 3079 email@example.com|
|Peter Hugreffe Ankersen||+45 3075 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hanna Ögren||+45 3079 email@example.com|
|Anders Mikkelsen||+45 3079 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kasper Veje (US)||+1 609 235 email@example.com|
1. Heise T, et al. A pooled analysis of clinical pharmacology trials investigating the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic characteristics of fast-acting insulin aspart in adults with type 1 diabetes. Clinical Pharmacokinetics 2017; doi:10.1007/s40262-017-0514-8.
2. Russell-Jones D, et al. Double-blind mealtime faster-acting insulin aspart improves glycaemic control with superior reduction in postprandial glucose excursions vs insulin aspart in type 1 diabetes: onset® 1. Diabetologia 2016; 59(Suppl. 1):S1-S581.
3. Fiasp® EMA Summary of Product Characteristics. Bagsværd, Denmark: Novo Nordisk A/S.
4. Bowering K, et al. Faster-acting insulin aspart vs insulin aspart as part of basal-bolus therapy improves postprandial glycaemic control in uncontrolled type 2 diabetes: the onset® 2 trial. Diabetologia 2016; 59(Suppl. 1):S1-S581.
5. Heise T, et al. Pharmacological properties of faster-acting insulin aspart vs insulin aspart in patients with type 1 diabetes receiving continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion: A randomized, double-blind, crossover trial. Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism 2017; 19(2):208-215.
6. Zijlstra E, et al. Compatibility and safety of faster-acting insulin aspart used in continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes. Endocrine Review 2016; 37(Suppl. 2):abstract FRI-697.
7. Heinemann L and Muchmore DB. Ultrafast-acting insulins: state of the art. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology 2012; 6(4):728-742.
8. Cengiz E, et al. Moving toward the ideal insulin for insulin pumps. Expert Review of Medical Devices 2016; 13(1):57-69.
9. NovoRapid® EMA Summary of Product Characteristics. Bagsværd, Denmark: Novo Nordisk A/S.
This medicine is subject to additional monitoring. Healthcare professionals and patients should report any suspected adverse events due to use of this medicinal product.